Austin, TX is recognized as one of the healthiest cities in the United States, and one way we stay healthy is by supporting local farmers markets in the area. Fresh vegetables, succulent fruits, and farm-raised meats are just the tip of the iceberg when shopping around the farmers market. You get to meet like-minded people, talk with local farmers, and get a better sense of the community. How is that not healthy? To get you started in your search for the best farmers market in Austin, we’ve listed a few below to try out:
1) Sustainable Food Center (SFC) Farmer’s Market is part of an initiative to promote healthy eating and strengthening the local food system. Since 1975, SFC has been providing fresh produce and meats to consumers of Austin. They currently operate 3 days a week in 4 different locations:
- Downtown, 400 West Guadalupe Street Republic Square Park Saturday 9am-1pm
- Sunset Valley3200 Jones Rd Toney Burger Center Saturday 9am -1pm
- The Triangle 4600 Lamar Blvd Triangle Park Wednesday 3pm -7pm
- East 2835 E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd — MLK & Miriam Ave Tuesday 3pm — 7pm
2) Barton Creek Farmers Market is also part of an association promoting healthy eating. Customers can find food such as pasture raised beef, bison, lamb, various cheeses, and specially made food. Barton Creek has 2 locations for their Farmers Markets:
- The intersection of S. Loop 1 (Mopac) and S. Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360).
- Hours 9:00am to 1:00pm every Saturday
- In the Highland Mall parking lot at 6001 Airport Blvd. Hours 10:00am to 2:00pm every Sunday
3) Mueller Farmers Market is known for its fresh Texas gulf seafood, local artisan foods and goods, farmstead cheeses, chef cooking demonstrations and live music. At Mueller shoppers can enjoy a great time while purchasing great food items. Mueller is open on:
- Sundays 10:00am – 2:00pm, At the “Browning Hangar” 4550 Mueller Blvd. Austin, Texas 78723
4) Hope Farmers Market is another place where customers can enjoy live music and other events while purchasing great food. It is the longest operating Sunday market in Austin. With a variety of produce, seasonings and sauces available, this farmer’s market is healthy for the body and healthy for the soul. Families will really enjoy events at this market. Hope Market is open:
- Every Sunday 11-3, Plaza Saltillo East 5th and Comal 412 Comal Street Austin, TX 78702
These are just some of the amazing Farmer’s Markets Austin has available. It is no wonder why they are well known for their healthy lifestyle in this great city.